Tuesday, June 2, 2009

It's official: Cazadora joins Team Huntress

Well, it looks like this is just my week to let cats out of the bag, and today the news is that I'm officially a part of Team Huntress.

What is Team Huntress? It's a group of outdoorswomen who will meet next week for our inaugural Outdoor Adventure Clinic hosted by Pheasant Phun at Olsen's OJ Bar Ranch in Hitchcock, South Dakota.

The clinic is for women who are interested in learning more about the outdoors and want a nice, friendly environment in which to do it. Wait, not just friendly, but pampering - we're talking facials, massage and wine tasting between archery, handguns and shotguns. Read more...
My job there will be helping out with the shotgun portion of the clinic, and also talking about sharing our outdoor stories.

If you read this blog, chances are you're already a hunter (or my mother), so perhaps you don't need a beginners' clinic. But if you know someone whose wife or girlfriend has been feeling a bit left out when the menfolk have run off on their hunting trips, this might be for her. I'm pretty sure there are still openings, and you can contact the organizers - Jane Keller and Dave Olsen - here for more information.

So why am I busting out with this news so close to the event? This has actually been on my agenda for a while, but I knew I would be on call for jury duty this week, so my ability to attend depended on me not getting stuck in a long trial. Today I was released from service, so now it's for sure: I'm South Dakota bound.

And looking forward to it, too. This will be the first time I've seen Prois Hunting Apparel founder Kirstie Pike since the 2008 SHOT Show, and I'll finally get to meet some other folks I've gotten to know a bit over the internet, such as Women's Outdoor News owner Barbara Baird.

And truth be told, I'm kinda looking forward to that massage, too...

© Holly A. Heyser 2009


22 comments:

Blessed said...

That is awesome! Have a great time!

Camp Wild Girls.com said...

See you there!

Unknown said...

How fun! Wish I lived closer :)

Anne Vinnola said...

YAY Holly! I am looking forward to meeting you and working with you at on this awesome camp!
Anne Vinnola

Phillip said...

Good luck with all this, Holly.

Remember us little people when you're a famous TV huntress person.

Marian Ann Love said...

Enjoy yourself Holly...they are my friends at The Camo Lounge! Tell them hello for me! :)

Holly Heyser said...

Thanks, everyone. And can't wait to meet you, Anne!

And Phillip, lemme put it this way: I ain't quittin' my day job...

Holly Heyser said...

And you too, CampWildGirls!

The Hunter's Wife said...

I heard from a secret source you were attending. The ladies at Team Huntress are wonderful. They sure tried convincing me to attend but unfortunately I'm not able to. It would have been a pleasure to finally meet you.

Have a good time!

SimplyOutdoors said...

Definitely sounds like a good time, and has to be way better than jury duty.

suzee said...

Have a great time! Look forward to hearing all about it when you get back!... it is fun to see the circles youv'e been running with!Cabela's and now this!Keep it up Holly!(actually I don't know how you find the time for all you do!)

Holly Heyser said...

Simply, I don't mind jury duty - I think it's important to serve. But last time I almost got stuck on a sexual assault case, and that would've been about as fun as a two-week migraine.

Suzee, I don't know how I find time either! It's crazy.

Jody, we'll meet one of these days -it's inevitable.

sportingdays said...

That's great, Holly, Truthfully, however, I'd be more excited for you if you were going to South Dakota in the fall -- not June! You really should experience South Dakota's wild pheasants. There's nothing on earth like it.

Please do some scouting and reporting for us. Those of us crazy about wild pheasants are always looking for great South Dakota lodges/outfitters for wild bird hunting trips (no S.D. preserves, please). Let us know if PheasantFun is a destination we should consider.

Enjoy.

sportingdays said...

South Dakota also has some truly fantastic waterfowl hunting, although it doesn't get quite the same publicity as the pheasant hunting and is not as commercialized.

Dick said...

Holly,
I came here from OBS and am glad to find your blog. I am going to list womens hunting blogs on mine, for my women readers to go to.

Nicole said...

Hey there...this is Nicole from the South Dakota Office of Tourism. I enjoyed reading about Team Huntress! I hope you have a great clinic - it sounds like fun!

If you want more information about hunting in South Dakota, go to www.HuntinSD.com.

Holly Heyser said...

I've seen your ads on TV - and been jealous of them. Can you imagine California inviting people to come hunt here? The secret is we have great hunting - it's just lost in the shadow of unfriendly politics.

Josh said...

SSHHHH! Don't go tellin' everybody about the hunting here!

Anyhoo, this sounds great, and I hope you enjoy yourself. What am I saying? If you don't enjoy yourself, chances are you'll have nobody to blame.

My wife got to teach kayaking at the Becoming an Outdoorswoman clinic, and tasted bear for the first time (and before me).

Chas S. Clifton said...

Have a good time. And see if you can find any link between the gross-out factor and political views.

sportingdays girl said...

Wow,you are on a roll! When it rains, it pours! (And in my mind, that works in the good times as well.) The promos, the named waders, the invitations...all exciting and tons of fun but what's most impressive/imp't. is that you are making connections and bringing people and conversations together. That may outlast any piece of gear, Cabelas or not.

Where's the weekend clinic for "Women who Got their Hunter Safety but now the Little Certificate is somewhere in Husband's Desk and That was 5 Years and 2 Babies Ago, and Now What?" That's the seminar I need.

Kirstie Pike said...

Too much fun! Wait til the pictures hit! Great hanging with you, Holly! Talk to you soon!

Web Design Quote said...

Hi,


I have came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.